A patent is an intellectual property right granted by the federal government that allows the inventor to exclude others from making, using, offering for sale, or selling the invention throughout the United States or importing the invention into the United States for 20 years from the date of application. In exchange you must disclosure to the public how to make your invention so that after 20 years it will be available for anyone else to make it, market it, and sell it without your permission.
How it creates value:
- Inventions are the source of new products, new revenue sources.
- Raises the barrier to entry by competitors in markets served by your invention
- Patent rights give you a clear competitive advantage over the market.
- Because you are protected from the time you file the application, you can talk to investors, suppliers, distributors with confidence
- Use patents defensively as a bargaining chip if some else claims that you infringe their patents
The Argent Place Solution:
Getting a patent is a complex, multi-step process requiring decisions that should properly involve business, technology, law, and even emotional factors. It can also be very expensive. Argent Place Law uses a staged process because by breaking the process into steps you can:
- Budget for the process in pieces over several years
- Adjust your application based on what you learn during earlier steps
- Test market your ideas during the process without losing your rights
- Abort the application at anytime, save future expenses, and redeploy capital
In addition, Argent Place Law assists clients in monetizing and their patents though licensing agreements.